Canon started convulsing as soon as he arrived home. They were back to the clinic again and were told her liver was not functioning and his blood was clotting. This was as a result of xylitol poisoning.
Xylitol is an ingredient mostly found in products such as toothpaste, mints, and chewing gums. It is also found in sugar baked store foods.
The product which is not harmful to humans is used in place of sugar in certain products. If taken by dogs, it has serious health ramifications.
It raises glucose levels in dog’s blood leading to liver failure and consequent death. It can also lead to vomiting, seizures, diarrhea, and trembling.
When did Canon come across chewing gum?
Image source: “Christie Lee Figlio” via Facebook
Dogs usually pick chewing gum on the streets, according to the vet. Dogs are typically attracted by fresh chewing gum and may pick them on the streets without the knowledge of the owner.
Figlio hopes that her story will create awareness about the issue so dog owners can be extra careful when walking their dogs. Share the story to enlighten others on the risks of throwing sugar-free gum on the streets. Ensure you throw your gum in the dustbin.
Cover image source: “Christie Lee Figlio” via Facebook
Story source from: “shared“